Amazing Grace at Yoga

I'm a Christian but I think I'm pretty relaxing with many things that other Christians aren't.


I'm not too worried about things that are "bad". I try to have an unique relationship with God. He has made me unique - there is no other Lilian out there - nothing even close to the original me - and that is the true to everyone, so when it comes to my relationship with God I live it unique as well. The things He touches in my heart to do it or convicts me not to do it I don't and other things that "traditional" Christian consider not ok do not bother me. Well - confusing, I'm sure but I will get to my point here soon.

Many Christians are against doing yoga. They talk about how the positions are worshiping other gods and it's "not Christian".

Well I believe that whatever "bad" this exercise could possibly bring into your life "subliminally" is not as powerful as my God and unless I feel bothered by it or God personally asks me to stop I just don't give "it" the power to affect me.

So I read this book called "Eat right for your blood type" and surprisingly it said that cardio exercises are not the best for me! I used to LOVE cardio but I think I'm so overweight that I don't have the energy to do cardio. I will do it one day and be in pain for another 4 weeks! lol But anyways, the book actually said that Pilates, yoga and other core exercises would actually kick my metabolism and "do the job" of a cardio. So after months considering and planning and hoping and looking at class's price and schedule - Finally, a few weeks ago I made it to my first class. I tried Pilates with quite a few different teacher and also yoga. Never gave many time to think about the spiritual part of it since I was just taking classes at our local community center not on a studio (as far as I noticed, studios take the whole spiritual side of it much deeper).

So after 3 or 4 lessons this one lady had music during her class. Music doesn't bother me except it kept repeating over and over again name of Indian gods and a humming sound - than THAT bothered me! It sounded like one of those music that stay in your head and you can't stop singing like the Mac Donald's "Give me back that filet - o fish, give me that fish!" so I didn't really want to listen to it.

I was thinking if I sing that or if it stays in my mind I will feel very uncomfortable and like I'm worshiping other gods. So kindly I asked the teacher to turn it down cause it was hard to hear here (and it really was) so she did and I finished that class. Decided that I would not go back to this one teacher (I have quite a few to choose from); and that decision wasn't made just over the music, besides the music that really did bothered me the whole class was very spiritual and I didn't like her paste and the sound of her voice.

So today I woke up with this AWFUL migraine. The pain was killing me and the pharmacy that had my prescription refill only opened at noon, so I was trying to relax all morning waiting for the pharmacy so I decided to go to the Sunday yoga class. This one teacher doesn't have any other classes but this one on Sunday's that are not for beginners but I just needed to stretch, breath and relax; so I went.

So all this post is just to say WOW! =)

The teacher was very very nice, calm and very concerned and yes - she played music during her class. Mostly Enya, and other pretty funny songs for Yoga, songs you can hear on the "Shrek" soundtrack. So I was very pleased with the whole experience....

The last 15 minutes comes, = relaxation and she talks a little about what we are feeling and why we are in this class and for us to meditate... I was thinking "ok I will just relax, if I can't clear my mind I will just breath and pray."

And the new "calmer" song starts for relaxation and what song is first?   AMAZING GRACE! =)

So how awesome was to relax after this massive workout and stretch to the sound of Christian music! =)

To finish it up with a cherry on top by the time I left the class my migraine was gone! =)))


Gente eu to morrendo de sono,  quase nao consegui escrever o post em ingles e acho que nao vou conseguir traduzir tudo! So queria dividir com voces que eu fui no clube aqui do meu bairro esse fim de semana fazer Yoga, e eu sempre fico meio assim sabe por causa das posicoes mas dessa vez adivinha o que?
Eles tocaram musicas cristas!!! Demais, ne?
E fui porque eu estava com uma super enxaqueca e depois da aula - tinha passado! Demais de demais, ne?

Beijao!

5 comments:

Suzan Mayumi Turner said...

Okay, I can sooooooo relate to this post!
First, the weight thing... man it is a battle everyday, specially here in US.... and I exercise... but I looooooove eating! And I'm not ashamed!hehehe...
The yoga thing... I love yoga! I know many of my friends don't get me... they think only on the spiritual level, but if you find a good teacher that cares more to the physical side, as you did, you'll for sure get the benefits of it. I do it now even by myself. The poses just stretch parts of my body that no other stretching exercise could do it. And as we do suffer with migraines yoga does help a lot!
During the meditation thing I just pray... or meditate on the wonderful things that our Almighty God has done...
I'm glad to find people that think like me in this subject!

Jenée Kristin said...

I like your view of yoga...and I completely agree. I'm very interested in it, and if I had the commitment to take classes (I've looked, I've pre-registered, I've just never made it there! lol) I'd be a master by now...:D

Lica G. said...

You both preggo friend's of mine should do it!

This will I bet do awesome good for you during child birth! =)))

I'm mostly glad that I'm not the only one that thinks that way! makes me feel less crazy! hehehe =)
not that you are hehehe

supermomdoesn'texist said...

I love this post. Thank you so much for sharing...plus you HAD to throw in the reference to "give me back that fillet o' fish give me that fish" so right away I could laugh and relate. I think you are very courageous and I admire you a lot! Thanks for keeping it real! You are "loved for being who you are".

Lica G. said...

Oh Melissa! you got tears on my eyes!

I must say girl that I feel so blessed to have your friendship! =)
I so admire you and I think you are an amazing woman - friend - mother... =)

Thank you for always being there for me and always putting up with my complicated life! =)