Public Health Care in Curitiba

Let me tell you my experience here with public health care. Actually first let me tell ya that Benji’s visit to private hospital coasted me about 600 bucks (supposedly my insurance will reimburse us). And during this visit the Dr. touched Benji maybe once or twice.

From the beginning – Noah had a hard night, woke up with a little fever and holding his right ear. This kid has NEVER had an ear infection. It’s being 2 days also he had complained about a belly ache, (however his BMs were ok, Dan had just left and they are VERY close so I never worried). Well – I thought it would be a good idea to take him to the Dr. Just in case!
My mom suggested me to take him to our local office, here in the neighborhood just a few blocks away from her house, “Posto de Saude” – Health Spot, Health Site… something on those lines… because they were good and free so I didn’t have to worry about $ and or filing with my insurance again.
At first I was so not ok with it – I was thinking a bunch of sick people and lines, hours of waiting for crap service but I just wanted to get an opinion on what was going on with him. I usually do my own thing – so then I went and for my surprise, this is what we experienced:
No line, very happy people in a VERY clean environment. There were 2 patients in front of me and they saw Noah within 15 minutes. First the nurses came to measure and get his info – than a Dr. who talked with him in English the whole time. She spent at least 30 minutes with us. Held him, calmed him down – did all the necessary exams to figure it out what he had + more…
Wrote me a prescription for 4 medications – one for his ear (he has a cyst), antibiotics, pain/fever medication if it was necessary + pedialite in case the antibiotic had an effect on his BMs causing him to become dehydrated. All of those were provided at the office with NO cost. I can go back when the meds are over for a checkup or any other time I desire to check on him!

I was SO impressed and satisfied! So much that I want to do something for that Unit. Not sure what yet but I’m sure to think of something.
Just as a curiosity – there they also provide free vaccination, breast milk donated from mothers that are tested at that facility for other babies whom may need, a pharmacy and health classes. What a great service for a 3rd world country!!! =D

Noah never took the pain/fever meds. He is however taking the antibiotcs. Keep him in your prayers - Also my dad; he has a lot of pain, a little reaction from chemo and maybe according to the Drs. may be fighting a flu like virus... Pray that he can get it over and that if it's a virus none of us get it!

1 comment:

Simone said...

Li, que saudade de voces!!!

minha amiga, meus dias aqui em Cincy estao contados agora....devo partir mais ou menos dia 9 ou 10 de janeiro...nem acredito!
O Ju sempre fala que vai na casa do Ben quando o Ben voltar do Brasil...
Ta um frio inacreditavel aqui!
beijos, da noticia.
Si