What kind of mother are you?

Not always we know what to do as mothers. Sometimes we feel we are too hard, or too soft – sometimes we find ourselves doing that one thing our mamas did we always said we wouldn't do the same.

Not always we know what's the best way to go – or to correct a problem. Not always we know if we are teaching too much or wonder if they are eating enough vegetable.

Now the one thing the human being it great at doing it labeling and judging. It's a great quality we all have and yet don't use it wisely.

I would bet millions of dollars that Everyone – I mean EVERYONE out there at some point in life looked at a child with a runny nose and didn't think “Oh MY kids will NEVER walk around with a snotted nose”

or when you saw a mother correcting they child you thought “Oh boy, she is such mean mother, I'm never yelling at my kids like that – communication is the best way and kids need limit.” or a

“She has no control over her kids”

and the list goes on and on....

Truth is that for other kids also you can be strong and keep your word – but when it come to your own kids... “aww they are suffering” or “look at those eyes”... and we just give in. Either that or we just don't want to deal with it do we also give in! =oP

Bottom line is that we ALL did and still after you had had your kids and you KNOW by living it it's NOT as easy as it sounds we still do it. All the time.

I sure don't know many things but there is one thing that I know well. And that is the kind of mother I DO NOT want to be. And the kind of kids I DO NOT want to have.

Having the control and power to do that (have or not have – be or not be) is a whole other story.
But I'm working towards it and I have found its harder than it looks but also it's all about keeping your mind in place and not loosing focus!
Writing is being a great tool for me. Finding out WHAT it is that I feel – and finding out WHY is that I'm feeling that way – what can I do to fix it before I loose my mind! =)

After all - I do wanna be a good mama – who doesn't???

We also need to understand and accept 2 things.
1.we are our worst judges (does that make sense?)
2.some mistakes are inevitable and that is just how we learn.

As for this week my focus will be on the volume of my voice. Not yelling. Time to do a little bit of “get out of your butt” parenting. And that won't hurt anyone! =)

I will report here soon! Hopefully with good results.

3 comments:

Suzan Mayumi Turner said...

ha, it's so true! I'm not a mom yet, but I have the ideal mom in my head that I want to be! I told my hubby that although it seems clear in reality when it's your own kid it must be so hard! I tell myself that I'm not going to spoil too much my baby (let him cry, it's good for the lungs!) but at the same time I can see totally myself throwing away everything just to comfort my baby!
I guess I'll learn how to be a good mom for my kid as the days go by, and the concept of being a good mom is very different from each mom. I just need to always remember that mistakes are acceptable!
I like reading your blog! Seing the point of view of a Brazilian mom living in US makes me happy!

By the way, I posted a comment on my blog regarding your question. Let me know if you need any help!

supermomdoesn'texist said...

Oh girl, I love what you said here! It is sooooooooooo true! I remember last winter thinking that it was so gross that the other moms let their kids come to storytime with snotty noses. (I would NEVER let my kid out of the house) Yeah, until this year and Angelica has had a continual snotty nose since January and we are never home (until the snow, ugghhh). So funny, and so true. I also believe that I know what kind of mom and kid I don't want to be/have but it's so hard sometimes to become (or know) what kind of mom I do want to be. Just today I felt like I was being too soft with Angelica (Rufino is good about being more "hard") but it's such a struggle to find the balance. Exhausting!!! I guess as long as they feel love and some limits, it all turns out well in the end, right??? Thanks for such an honest and wise post!!!!

Lica G. said...

This seem to be surrounding me a lot in different ways lately!

Thanks girls! =)


Thanks Suzan for helping me with the new look!!!