The friend parent

I hate not being able to sleep, it's so annoying. I'm tired, my body is exhausted and I have a really hard and long week ahead, and I can't fall asleep. I'm sure its because of that, because of the fact I will be so busy and my mind can't stop wondering and planning and thinking and tomorrow my body will be the one exhausted and not able to function. Why don't we have a "on-off" button"? And how come can we be so rational yet not enought rational to sooth ourselves when our body needs and that is the freaking rational thing to do?!?!?!?!
Anyways, I figure the only thing I could do and not wake up the crew is to use the computer so I remember a couple things I wanted to blog about.

The fine line between being a parent and being a friend!!!
Ohhhh you always heard things like "but Jimmy's parents are cool, they let him do this, they let him do that." and turns out little Jimmy is one of the most annoying kids in the neighborhood and as much as you want to be a "cool" mom you don't want your child turning like Jimmy.

Well, there, right there is where I'm struggling right now as a mom. My mom was a very scary lady to me for most my life, everything I ever done was always hidden from her because she should always be so angry and have a strong opinion about thing I was never able to be her friend. My dad in the other hand would say "yes" before you even finished the question and boy was he loved? Yet I'm thankful for my mom because I know all the things I would of done or maybe not do it if both my parents were like dad!

So where do you draw a line? So far I'm a cool mom (shut up! They do so say my kids!) and I work hard on not letting things pass by, still parent but withou "scaring" them, without making they loose that open communication we have and being afraid of their punishment. 


Oh yeah. Punishment... 
That is the whole reason I even started thinking about this whole parenting thing, because when you punish your child, oh no there is no way of being a cool parent then. And I also get all paranoid like " If I send them to their room to be alone, they will connect that into being a punishment" or "If I make them read that will also always feel like a punishment" 
I feel like I was always full of little "traumas" if you even want to call that, but I have some strong weird memories as a child (I know, I'm weirder then usual) but I don't want my kids to have them, or at least I don't want to be the one to plant such seeds since a lot in life is inevitable.

So, long story short I have found the perfect punishment for my kids this weekend: a good run on the treadmill. 

Yes! A run!
They laugh so hard, they think it's the funniest thing in the whole world and they break a sweat... And they release a loooot of energy ( o yeah, because they are not walking they are RUNNING!!!) and they realize only 2 minutes went by when they are supposed to run 5,7 minutes based in their ages and by then they are still happy and smile soo looking forward for this to be done and they are done they are just too tired to even think how awful of a mom I'm and they don't even remember that was a punishment to start with ( which I'm still not sure if it's a good or bad thing). Im sure society find a way or two to explay how i can "scar" my kids in some way and i suuure hope that doesnt come to bite me in the butt and the kids turn out to hate any kind of phisical activity but for now that has being what's working over here!!!



No comments: